If you need a highly customisable content managed website, Drupal is a great choice. Although ideally suited for large enterprise sites with hundreds of pages, it's also worth considering if you want to create a site of any size that has a lot of functionality.
Drupal is open source and used by a large number of major brands and corporate sites including the White House, Harvard University, MTV and the Louvre in Paris.
It owes its flexibility to a library of more than 25,000 modules which can be added to your site to create anything from a calendar of events and image galleries to complex content workflows and multi-lingual pages. Read the full review
Already got Drupal?
If you already have a Drupal website, check out our Drupal services. We can help you get more out of your Drupal site.
Three features account for a lot of the success Drupal has experienced: ease of user management, the in-built content construction kit and a search engine friendly structure. Let's look at each of these in turn:
Drupal was originally designed for community-based social websites. The resulting legacy is a powerful user management capability which allows you to assign custom roles to different users (guest, client, member, moderator, editor, admin, etc.). Choose different permissions for each role such as creating new content, managing other users and moderating comments.
Content construction kit
Drupal will give you the capability to create custom content types such as pages, blog posts, classified adverts, news items, testimonials. Control how each content type is displayed and listed as well as what information visitors can see and how they can interact with each type.
Search engine friendly structure
Drupal is search engine friendly making it easy for you to control all essential SEO features such as page titles, meta tags and XML sitemaps. Plus Drupal also gives you the capability to go much further:
- Integrate Google Analytics
- Create a faceted search facility
- Redirect URLs when you remove old pages
- Dynamically create internal links based on keyword phrases
- Create semantic content
- Analyse the readability of your content
- Check SEO compliance throughout your site
- Set up a search engine friendly 404 (not found) page
- Check for broken links
- Analyse and optimise your content automatically using data and recommendations from WordStream and Scribe
- Set search engine friendly URLs automatically
- Show related content to any visitor
- Override H1 title tags
- Set-up customisable search-friendly breadcrumbs that are automatically created and added to every page of your site
Using Drupal's modules, you can integrate your website with a huge range of popular apps and sites including:
- YouTube, Vimeo
- Twitter, Google+, Flickr and Facebook
- Payment providers like PayPal, WorldPay and Authorize.net
- Google Analytics, Yandex, Piwik and other analytic tools
- Google AdSense
- reCAPTCHA and other CAPTCHA tools
- jQuery, OAuth, json2 and Node.js
- Google Charts
- Google (and Bing) Webmaster Tools
- Google, Bing and Yandex Maps
- ShareThis, AddThis, AddToAny and other sharing tools
- MailChimp, Constant Contact and other email marketing programs
- Slideshow widgets such as Nivo,
- Apache Solr Search and Amazon S3
It's also simple to embed third party code into any page or to create custom Drupal modules. The possibilities are endless.